Sunday, November 20, 2016



Hello,

It's final project season! For this course, I am going to design a lesson plan for students to collaborate on a writing project, with code and without.

What I am imagining is splitting the class up into two groups, those who feel more comfortable writing with code, and those who feel more comfortable writing with prose. Ideally, the class will split in half and I can easily pair them up with someone who chose the other skill. Then the students will, in whatever order they choose, create a narrative and an animation using Scratch.

It would be a large project, but I think with Scratch the students will be able to be as advanced or simple as they want. Right now I'm curating some resources for guidance on animating in Scratch, and I've found some really good-looking work!

This is a video showing how deep you can get into the world of animation in Scratch.  The music could be considered obnoxious, fair warning. : )




This is a pretty basic animation, but I think it's a very good instructional video.



These are the ISTE standards I believe we'll be touching on: 1.) Empowered Learner, 2.) Digital Citizen, 3.) Knowledge Constructor, 4.) Innovative Designer, 5.) Computational Thinker 6.) Creative Communicator.  For the Common Core Standards, I'm thinking we'll have CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.9-10.2CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.9-10.4, and CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.9-10.7.

I'm not sure how in-depth I have to go with making a case for hitting the standards.  Hopefully some of my peers who have been in the classrooms as an instructor will be able to advise me on that.  I will also need to actually develop a lesson plan, and I've never had to do that before.  Not sure what it should look like! 

2 comments:

  1. What is the writing project? How have you gotten along with animation? I can probably help if you get stuck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Andrew,

    I like your Scratch tutorial very much. I too would like to know more about the writing project with some specific learning objectives or perhaps one lesson plan.

    ReplyDelete